Wondering where to start when picking the right attorney?
You wouldn’t be alone.
Finding the best car accident attorney is a hugely important aspect of fighting your case. Picking the right lawyer from a good shortlist can be one of the most important decisions you can make. Whether another driver was distracted, or someone lost control of their vehicle, we have you covered.
Know What You Need
Before you even begin looking for the correct lawyer, it is a good idea to know some of the terms and sensibilities you want out of your lawyer.
The exact factors will vary on a case-by-case basis, the area you live in and your personality. A few things you should look at include –
- Look at the whole team of staff underneath a prospective lawyer or law firm. This can give you more well-informed idea of how they operate. Keep anything you discover in mind as you interact with them, as you may not always be liaising with the same person that you talk to initially.
- Look at how big the law firm is. Any awards and organizations can be good indications that they are reputable and know what they’re doing.
- Look at how comfortable they are when going to trial. You can delve deeper and see what cases made it to a trial and how successful those cases were.
- Check to see if they have studied cases similar to yours in the same county or city. Go and see if they have an office somewhere nearby.
- Look at their skills in negotiation. You can do this by seeing what kind of settlement they managed to achieve, and again the ratio of settlements going to trial.
- The personal comfort you have with your attorney can be very important. Do not pursue negotiations with any attorneys you feel dissatisfied with, or you feel do not cater to your needs.
- You should also look at how much time an attorney can allocate to your case. If existing cases are taking long, this may be an indication of them not having enough time to deal with yours.
- Look at the past reviews of the attorney you’re thinking of hiring. See what other clients have said about them, good and bad.
- Past problems are also another important factor to consider. Look at whether an attorney has been disciplined by any ethics committees – this can save you time contacting attorneys on the front end.
Other Factors To Consider
Apart from the above factors, there are a few extra things you can look to when trying to find the right attorney for your personal injury case.
- The majority of attorneys dealing with accidents will not charge for consultations. This means that you are able to schedule multiple meetings with different attorneys to get a feel for how they operate at no extra expense.
- Many personal injury attorneys will not charge you unless the case is won. Except for rare exceptions, you can be happy with the knowledge that you won’t have to accrue any more debt should you not win the case.You should, however, think about how much you will have to pay if the case is successful. It is important to ask attorneys this prior to even negotiating your case.
Finding The Best Car Accident Attorney
Finding the best car accident attorney for a car accident doesn’t have to be challenging. Take the right precautions and you’ll be able to find someone that is able to handle your case gracefully and promptly, regardless of the type of injury.